- About the SSI
- Student Sustainabilty Center
- Our Work
- Get Involved
- Contact Us
The Student Sustainability Initiative (SSI) Project Coordinators are responsible for overseeing and engaging students in SSI projects. In particular, these positions is responsible for: (1) planning and executing sustainability-related projects, and (2) recruiting, coordinating, and supervising volunteers and interns. Each project coordinator is responsible for a different area of sustainability. Our current project areas are: energy, food, landscape, transportation, waste reduction, and water.
All staff members of the SSI are responsible for furthering the SSI’s mission and vision in the following ways: (1) recruit and train potential SSI staff, interns, and volunteers, (2) act as a liaison between the SSI and other organizations, (3) encourage and support students in furthering their own vision of sustainability on campus, (4) develop a sense of ownership and community for students within the SSI, (5) increase community understanding of the need for a sustainable culture and the opportunities and resources available to address that need, and (6) encourage movement by the institution towards a sustainable future.
● Plan and execute sustainability-related projects
● Recruit, coordinate, and supervise volunteers and interns
● Hold regular office hours at the SSC
● Attend staff meetings
● Meet individually with Director bi-weekly
● Work with the SSI Marketing Team to promote projects
● Act as a liaison between the SSI and related grant recipients, helping them plan and implement their projects
● Link individuals and organizations to sustainability-related resources, contacts, and opportunities available to help them pursue their own projects
● Actively collaborate with on- and off-campus groups working in similar areas
● Create tangible, quantifiable, and lasting impacts that further sustainability at OSU and benefit the SSI
○ Work with the Sustainability Office on energy-related projects
○ Assist the Landscape Projects Coordinator in managing SSC gardening facilities and utilizing produce
○ Maintain and improve SSC composting and gardening facilities
○ Support the Bike Loan Program
● Waste Reduction
○ Work with Campus Recycling on waste reduction-related projects (Waste Watchers volunteer program)
○ Continue collaboration with Eco-Rep program
○ Assist the Landscape Projects Coordinator in managing SSC composting facilities
○ Ensure the SSC demonstrates sustainable waste practices
○ Work with water related groups on campus such as the Healthy Campus Initiatives, Student Health Services, and the Fresh from the Tap Initiative
● An understanding of and passion for sustainability
● Problem solving skills
● Experience working with diverse groups of people
● Strong verbal and written communication skills
● Ability to work individually and as part of a team
● Project management experience
● Great people skills
● Experience working with volunteers or interns
● Demonstrated ability to successfully plan and execute projects, events, or campaigns
● Knowledge and experience with position-specific area of sustainability
● Awareness of diverse approaches to creating cultures of sustainability
● Applicants to the position of Landscape Projects Coordinator will need experience, knowledge, and/or training on sustainable landscaping practices and techniques
● Demonstrated leadership skills
● An awareness of and/or connection to campus and community groups in position-specific area of sustainability
Open to Applications
Employment Dates and Hours:
● The position starts Monday, January 6, 2014. The coordinator is expected to work 10-15 hours/week during winter and spring terms. Some work may be necessary over breaks as well.
● Employment will last until June 15th.
Pay rate is $9.90 per hour.
Terms and Conditions:
SSI employees must (1) maintain a 2.0 cumulative GPA or higher, be enrolled in at least 6 credits at OSU during the employment period, and must not be on academic probation, (2) affirm and uphold University policies that help create and maintain a welcoming and equal opportunity campus. (OSU and the SSI do not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran's status.)
Please send a resume and cover letter detailing your relevant experience to SSI Director Olivia Poblacion at SSI.email@example.com. In the cover letter, please address the following: why are you interested in working for the SSI; what do you feel you have to contribute to the program and; how do you feel the SSI can best create a culture of sustainability at OSU.
Please address questions to SSI Director Olivia Poblacion at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information about the SSI, please visit http://oregonstate.edu/ssi/.