- About the SSI
- Student Sustainabilty Center
- Our Work
- Get Involved
- Contact Us
The Student Sustainability Initiative (SSI) Director is directly responsible for all activities and programs of the SSI and for the use and well-being of the Student Sustainability Center (SSC). In particular, this position is responsible for: (1) coordination and development of SSI staff, (2) representation of the SSI in the broader community, (3) effectiveness and advancement of the program as a whole.
All SSI are responsible for furthering the SSI’s mission in the following ways: 1) model student leadership for sustainability; 2) educate OSU students about environmental, social, economic sustainability and offer resources to make a difference; 3) encourage and support students pursuing their own vision of sustainability on campus; and 4) advocate for action at the institutional level for sustainable infrastructure and policies. SSI Project Coordinators pursue these goals by planning and executing sustainability-related projects; collaborating with partner organizations; and recruiting, coordinating, and supervising volunteers and interns.
• Lead long-term visioning and strategic planning for the program
• Manage budget and approve expenditures
• Recruit, hire, train, and supervise SSI staff
• Support programming development in SSI’s focus areas: energy, landscape, water, waste reduction, food and transportation
• Serve on the Fee Board as a non-voting member
• Assist with organizational assessment
• Foster partnerships with student and community organizations
• Advance the organization’s mission of creating a culture of sustainability at OSU
• Facilitate weekly all-staff meetings, and meet individually with staff on a biweekly basis
• Serve on event planning committees, as needed
● An understanding of and passion for sustainability
● An understanding of the SSI, its history, and its activities
● Demonstrated leadership abilities including, staff or volunteer coordination experience, problem solving skills, and willingness to take initiative
● Experience working with diverse groups of people
● Strong verbal and written communication skills
● Ability to work individually and as part of a team
● Familiarity with sustainability-related campus and community groups
● Demonstrated ability to successfully plan and execute projects, events, or campaigns
● Experience supervising staff
● Experience facilitating or overseeing organizational development
● Experience working with the SSI
● Advertising and marketing experience
Training will begin April 21st, and summer hours will be required (around 35 hours per week). Job will be through the 2014-15 Academic year (20 hours per week).
How to Apply:
Please send a resume and cover letter as a single PDF titled SSI application [your last name] to Olivia Poblacion, SSI Director at SSI.email@example.com. Your cover letter should state which position you are applying for and detail your relevant experience.
Application Deadline: Friday April 4, 2014